Sunday 2 January 2011

I did a little research...

Thinspiration
Yay or Nay?

Hey blog readers! I know i've been writing a lot today what with all the crazy stuff happening but some new stuff has just caught my eye on Facebook!

I have some friends who like me adore the internet, one of whom has a lot of beliefs which she shares with us on Facebook! I love them because it gives me something to read about and new sites to look at. Recently she posted a link to this blog: click here saying how bad it was, I agree.

Now I'm a curvy person, yes that makes me bias and if you want to challenge me then go right ahead! However looking at some of these photo's has made me feel a little bit angry. 
Firstly at myself, because after looking at a few I started to feel my spirits drop and I started thinking why can't I be like that. After a brief pause I relied that this was completely stupid of me.
Secondly at the people who make up these things, I'm not trying to sit on a high horse or tell you what's wrong or right but surly creating images just to make you loose a foolish amount of weight isn't a good thing? especially if you're trying to pressure other's as well?

I admit, I look at seriously obese people and think "Thank goodness i'm not like that" (I always feel bad afterwards) but never do I look and think "God they need to loose some weight how ugly!" This is the feeling I get from some of these self named "Pro-Ana" sites who seem to think this constantly about anyone who isn't a stick. We're forever being told that "Weight doesn't matter" and for part that's true! Why should we (and I don't just mean girls) go around hating our bodies and spending time punishing ourselves just because a photograph told us to?

Photo's like this make me wonder, what have these girls had done to them to make them be so determined? Why are they so against having just a bit of fat on the body? Mainly I ask myself "Won't they get seriously cold in winter?" but that's just me being stupid and childish!
I love my body and I love being me. Why can't everyone else feel the same?
So whilst doing a bit of research into this I came across another blog (Written by a girl I know) which is completely "anti-ana" click here Personally I would follow both sites just for the comparison but some of the feedback she's gotten is brilliant because it shows that sometimes we just need someone to stand up to the people who post this stuff and people will turn and see the healthy way of life and the healthy "non bullying" way to loose weight!

I then read a really interesting article which made my Jaw drop as is never occurred to me that maybe pro-ana sites are a good thing? Not the ones that bully you into feeling fat or loosing weight but there are some out there which creates a community for Anorexia sufferers and so gives support to those suffering? I don't know if everyone will agree with me but it seems a valid point.


Having said that I can't imagine anyone who would bully their selves every morning into loosing weight and not eating. Pro-Ana seems to illogical to me and I worry how society has forced girls into feeling this is a good thing and necessary for you to find friends and for people to love you.


Yeah - That's me in all my "curvy" glory from last summer! I admit my face is a little bit odd in that photo but I'd rather be like that than the first photo! Fair enough, it's your choice in the end and it's your way of living your life. We all have personal choices to make regarding our body image but blog readers please think about what's "healthy" and what isn't! Throwing up just so a guy will like you is not natural! If anything guys prefer "meat" because it makes you cuddly  (and ultimately gives you bigger boobs)

I love you all readers and please think carefully and seriously! I'd hate for any of you to end up feeling like that!
xox
HarrietCorey


4 comments:

  1. Thin people snap in half when it's windy. Better to stay a normal size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thin but even i think that thinspiration or whatever it's called gives thin people a bad name and creates this image that everyone should be thin whereas in reality its not great. I'm always cold and i can never find clothes which fit well, skinny jeans are baggy and i would personally give anything to have curves. Don't EVER listen to that website EVER you are beautiful :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo with the text attached is disturbing. Seriously, the author is mental. People who are too thin and look skeletal are not attractive. Guys don't like girls whose bodies are skinny like a ten year old's. Unfortunately, many of the people who subscribe to the not-eating mentality are unhappy and critical. What a lousy quality of life. Better to be fat (or average weight) and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy for you, but personally I'd still like to look like the first photo.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Leave me a message and I promise I will reply (I have nothing better to do with my life!)