Monday 5 January 2015

Homemade Exfoliator


Sometimes late at night I get really bored, when I get bored late at night I do stupid things. Sometimes I start a movie marathon and sometimes I decide to make my own concoctions - This time I tried to make my own face scrub and surprisingly it turned out rather well!
I will admit I looked at a lot of peoples recipes before trying this out, after all I wanted to know what to use! Plus I really didn't want my face to turn green or worse!

Here's a quick list of everything I used and why! Then I just mixed it all together and rubbed it on my face in circular motions, rinsing with luke warm water and applying a Nivea moisturiser afterwards!

3 Tablespoons of Sugar
1/2 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
Juice from 1 Lemon
1/2 Tablespoon of Ground Almonds
3/4 Tablespoon of Baking Soda



Sugar - It's a gentler version of salt, the rough granules break down the dead skin cells which basically means you'll get lovely soft cheeks.

Lemon Juice - It does the same as the sugar and wait for it... more! Not only does it remove the top layer of skin cells it also acts as a moisturiser and helps to heal acne and ageing! Plus like the cinnamon it smells really good!

Ground Almonds - I don't know why I added this, I think it's meant to be hydrating but at this point I just thought "what the heck, how bad can it be?"

Cinnamon - It just smelt good when I opened the jar I felt like I might as well add it in!

Baking Soda - Ok, so this I was dubious about using but it actually worked nicely to mix everything together. It was a tad alarming when it frothed up and started to overflow the small bowl I was using though! So make sure you use a big bowl if adding Baking Soda! As for the benefits? It's the main ingredient in loads of the expensive face scrubs you see, it's really good at exfoliation so definitely worth trying. Apparently it also works as a tooth whiter - think I'll try that next!

Overall? This has left my skin so wonderfully and beautifully smooth. All week I've been feeling my clogged pores growing and my skin becoming really dry and flaky, so this wondrous combination really helped with that and I've woken up this morning with really fresh feeling skin! However it is quite harsh, so I wouldn't advise using this everyday, but for a once or twice a week to freshen up your skin then this is perfect!

Have you made any of your own beauty/health products? I'd love to hear all about them as I'm always looking for new things to try at Midnight!
Love y'all
Harriet
xx

2 comments:

  1. I've made my own soaps and bath bombs before and this sounds lovely.... but i admit i'd have to leave the cinnamon, its not my favourite smell! xx

    KirstyLeighx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon is definitely a Marmite smell! You either love it or you hate it, but for me it's definitely my go-to!
      xx

      Delete

Hey there! Leave me a message and I promise I will reply (I have nothing better to do with my life!)